Maybe you think it will take you hours to build a bot and you plan to delay the following week.
Or … Maybe you just need a simple guide to help you get started 🙃.
In this article, I will tell you the steps to fulfill to write your chatbot's conversational scenarios quickly.
1. Define your audience
Ask yourself and answer to those questions:
- Who are your customers/users?
- How did they land to your website/full-page bot?
- What are their problems, needs and goals?
- How do they try to solve these problems and achieve their goals?
- What kinds of situations trigger these problems, needs and goals?
- How do they talk to you?
With your answers, you can define the customer/user journey of your most essential personas.
2. Set a clear goal
Start by listing scenarios (use cases) in which users would find the bot useful.
Will you get the most out of your chatbot when used as a lead qualification tool, shopping assistant or for customer support?
3. Choose your chatbot character
This character is an extension of your brand and has to be capable of connecting with your target audience.
Think about every bullet below:
- Representation/Aspect (You, your brand itself? Avoid robot images, it doesn't make it very serious, except if it's the purpose 🙃 )
- Tone (confident, joyful, friendly?)
- Personality (funny, competent, compassionate?)
- Level of politeness
4. Outline dialogue flow
Focus on what your chatbot has to say and ask. You can tune the linguistic and conversational nuances later.
Write down the questions in a logical sequence with all possible answers and follow-ups to those answers.
This way, you are likely to identify missing paths and dead ends and add them to ensure that the conversation sounds natural no matter what path the user takes.
Logic jumps (to create different paths under conditions) and loops (to go back to a previous element of conversation) will give you all flexibility you need.
5. Write your script
Once the flow diagram is in place, expand and perfect your wording.
Don't forget to try your bot with the preview button and read the dialogue aloud.
Happy building! 👋
Liked that? Check these out:
Boost your engagement rate now
Get your access for FREE to build your own chatbot with our chatbot builder.